In this tutorial we will show you how to root your Google LG Nexus 4 with Android 4.4 KitKat. We will also go over the procedure to unlock the bootloader of your device. We will need the Android SDK, to find out how to get it and to configure it for our needs check out the following two tutorials.
[highlight color=“eg. yellow, black“]Always Backup your device![/highlight]
Google automatically saves your contacts but doesn’t sync other files on your device. Check the following tutorials to completely backup your device.
- Backup Apps, Pictures and Ringtones from your Android Device
- Android SMS Backup & Restore Tutorial
- Backup Android Call Logs with Call Logs Backup & Restore
Google Nexus 5 Root and Custom Recovery
Things we will need
Google LG Nexus 5 Root Tutorial
- Download and install the USB Drivers for your phone and the Android SDK. To find out how to install the Android SDK check out the tutorials linked in the beginning of this tutorial.
- Activate USB Debugging on your Nexus 5
- Download the CF-Auto-Root file for your LG Nexus 5
- Connect your device via usb to your pc
- Shut off your Nexus 5
- We will now need to boot into the bootloader / fastboot menu. To do this simply press and hold the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power Button until you see some text.
- Extract the CF-Auto-Root file into your \sdk\platform-tools folder in the Android SDK directory
- You will now need to start the batch file for your OS. Windows users need to double click the root-windows.bat, Mac User can use the root-mac.sh
- The batch file will now start to root your device. After that your Nexus 5 will reboot into Android. This can take several minutes so take your time.
Google LG Nexus 5 Bootloader Unlock Tutorial
- Start your Nexus 5 into the Bootloader / Fastboot Menu with the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power-Key
- Open the folder \sdk\platform-tools in the Android SDK folder
- Press the right mouse button while holding the shift-key and select „Open Command Prompt“ from the context menu
- Enter the following line into the command promt and press enter
- fastboot oem unlock
- You will now get some text on your device, read it and confirm your actions if necesary. The Bootloader Unlock will delete all the files from your device so remember to backup all important stuff first.
- Your Nexus 5 should restart now and boot into android